If you would like to join any of these groups, please email email@example.com and we will be in touch.
Fall 2017 Effort
In Fall 2017, five working groups were convened to address the broad scope of operations at SPH. In addition to running over 80 online courses every year, SPH has a wide range of Moodle usage for face-to-face and hybrid courses, cohort sites, program sites, and continuing education. The working groups will cover the following areas:
- Course Administration
- This group consists of people who work with registration systems, reporting, and other administrative functions.
- Their current focus is on how to examine processes around course scheduling, entering TA assignments into peoplesoft, etc. in order to address decisions made by the University about FERPA and course autocreation in Canvas.
- Course Support
- This group consists of people across the school who support Moodle course sites, including ELS and Rothenberger for online courses and various groups and individuals across the school for face-to-face support sites.
- Their current focus is to identify the needs and varying levels of support faculty receive across the school and work together to create common practices, which will help SPH create a staff training plan and identify how to roll out faculty training and support for the transition of all courses.
- Continuing Education
- This group consists of people supporting non-credit continuing education modules, such as workforce training.
- As we await the Destiny One integration for Canvas (scheduled for later this summer), this group is in a holding pattern.
- This group consists of people who develop and support functions outside of a traditional course that could or will have a Canvas course site, such as career services, cohort sites, student training for online courses, and teaching online at SPH.
- We are currently considering the badging functions of Canvas to identify common needs (plagiarism training, for instance) that could decrease repetition for students and work for faculty, examining whether certain Canvas tools could allow programs to use a consistent framework for cohort or program sites, etc. We anticipate that this will turn into an ongoing group that addresses SPH needs over time.
- Faculty Canvas Team
- A cross-divisional group of faculty is advising ELS on needs, wants, and concerns as we prepare for the Canvas transition.
- This fall, they contributed to a needs assessment document, gathering information. This spring and summer, they will be reviewing draft templates and providing feedback on training plans.
Spring 2018 Plans
This spring, ELS and the working groups will be focused on:
- Synthesizing the results of the faculty needs assessment and developing SPH-specific trainings to complement offerings from Central UMN services.
- Developing and testing templates for use in online and face-to-face/hybrid courses.
- Identifying process changes, specifically as they pertain to course listing timelines and TA assignment entry into Peoplesoft.
- Continuing to discuss our needs with OIT regarding continuing education, Public Health Institute courses, and others as we identify them.
If you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to contact Sara Hurley, director of ELS, at firstname.lastname@example.org.