Complete a BA/BS in statistics and a MS in biostatistics in just 5 years!
The 4+1 Biostatistics MS program is designed specifically for undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in the School of Statistics at the University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts (CLA), providing them a unique opportunity to complete a bachelor’s and master’s degree within five years.
Students fulfill all CLA undergraduate requirements as determined by their program and begin graduate coursework in Biostatistics during their fourth year. Biostatistics graduate courses and the corresponding MS degree are administered by the U of MN School of Public Health, one of the top five biostatistics graduate programs in the U.S.
- Saves time. Saves students time (one year) in earning a professional degree.
- Saves money. Reduces tuition dollars for a graduate degree. Students pay the undergraduate tuition rate instead of the graduate school tuition rate for the Biostatistics courses they take during their senior year as undergraduates.
- Career preparation. Provides real-world experience in data analysis and cross-disciplinary scientific collaboration before graduating. (Students complete a field experience or internship experience during the summer between year 4 and year 5, or take a biostatistical consulting course during the spring of year 5.)
- Personalized. Biostatistics MS students enjoy small classes, individual faculty attention, state-of-the-art computing facilities, proximity to a large academic health center, a strong record in job placement, and access to a wide variety of teaching and research assistantship experiences.
- Excellence in education. Emphasizes a broad, solid foundation in biostatistics with the same rigor and coursework as students in the traditional 2-year MS program.