The Management Fundamentals Certificate is designed for employed executives, physicians, and other health care professionals seeking to advance their management and leadership capabilities.
Specific features of this design include:
- The curriculum parallels the first portion of the Executive MHA curriculum. Students in the certificate who decide to pursue the Executive MHA can apply to that program and, if admitted, complete the degree by finishing the Executive MHA curriculum.
- The curriculum includes a focus on the management of complex, integrated health systems, including the expanded role of physicians as providers, managers and leaders in those systems.
- Program faculty are actively involved in applied research with health systems with a focus on integrated health system performance.
- The on-campus sessions invite alumni and expert speakers to participate with students in symposia and other learning events.
- Student complete the certificate in eight months.
- The program is designed to minimize interference with work and family: most of the coursework is online and asynchronous; students spend only eight days on campus over eight months.
- The program builds on the practical application of learning to the participant’s organization.
- The program is based on a learning cohort model in which all students start the program together and progress through the same curriculum, providing myriad opportunities for students to learn and work together.
The School of Public Health Master of Health care Administration (MHA) program is in a unique position to offer this certificate. Our program holds a position of prominence among U.S. health care administration programs and is currently ranked as the No. 2 program by U.S. News and World Report.
Our alumni lead institutions throughout the country and remain connected to and engaged in the program’s progress. In addition to involving alumni as speakers in the on-campus sessions, the May session is intended to specifically attract significant alumni involvement.
The May session combines extended learning opportunities for students in both the Executive MHA and the Regents Certificates and draws alumni to participate in discussions of emerging issues in health care administration, financing and policy.