For Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Applicants
This information is for applicants to the following SPH Post-Baccalaureate Certificates programs:
- Advanced Management Training for Clinician Leaders
- Aging Studies
- Applied Biostatistics
- Clinical Research
- Management Fundamentals in Health care Organizations
- Public Health Core Concepts
- Public Health Food Protection
- Public Health Preparedness, Response & Recovery
- Global Health
Applicants need to provide evidence of a U.S. baccalaureate degree (or foreign equivalent) at a regionally accredited institution of higher education; OR of a post-baccalaureate graduate or professional degree at a regionally accredited institution of higher education. Admission to certain programs requires a prior advanced degree in a related area. Students applying to certificate programs do not need to take the GRE.
Application is online through SOPHAS Express. Before beginning your application please read the following information. You will need to provide this information and supporting documentation in SOPHAS Express to complete your application.
1. Gather your supporting documentation: Please gather the information noted below. You will be required to upload each of these documents within your SOPHAS Express application.
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives – Compose an essay describing your past education, experience, and professional career objectives. You are encouraged to comment on any of the following plans: plans you have to use your education and training; the needs and/or challenges you perceive as important in your field of study; and any personal qualities, characteristics, and skills you believe will enable you to be successful in your chosen field of study.
- Resume or CV
- Copies of transcripts from each U.S. college/university in which you earned a degree.
Note: Do not upload official transcripts. If you are admitted, you will be required to submit official transcripts directly to the School of Public Health.
2. Choose your reference (letter of recommendation): In the “Evaluations” section of your SOPHAS Express application, you will submit the name of one reference who will provide a recommendation online in the SOPHAS Express system. The reference should be a person qualified to assess your academic work; clinical public health, or professional experiences; or leadership potential in public health.
3. Choose your desired post-baccalaureate certificate program: In the Designations section of the application, choose the “University of Minnesota School of Public Health” and “All programs” in the drop-down boxes then click on the Find Programs button. Choose the appropriate certificate program and start term/year you which you wish to apply.
Additional Supporting Documentation for Applicants with Foreign Degrees
1.Applicants who have a degree(s) from a foreign institution should provide a World Educational Services (WES) ICAP course-by-course evaluation of their academic credentials. Have WES send the evaluation directly to the University of Minnesota School of Public Health.
2.Proof of English Language Proficiency (if applicable): Evidence of proficiency in English is required of applicants whose native language is not English or whose education was completed exclusively at an institution(s) whose language of instruction is not in English. Evidence of proficiency can be met by providing proof of one of the following:
- Official TOEFL scores – The operational standard for admission to the School of Public Health is a TOEFL score of 100 on the internet-based (iBT) test OR 600 on the paper test. TOEFL scores must be under two years old. Official scores should be sent to DI Code: 6874 – University of Minnesota-Minneapolis/St Paul
- Official IELTS scores – The operational standard for admission to the School of Public Health is an IELTS score of 7.0. IELTS scores must be under two years old. Official scores should be sent to University of Minnesota, Minneapolis (School of Public Health)
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate.
A copy of your ECFMG Certification should be sent to:
University of Minnesota School of Public Health
Student Services Center
MMC 819, Rm A395 Mayo Bldg
420 Delaware St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
or email to: email@example.com
- Completion of 16-semester credits/ 24-quarter credits (within the past 24 months) in an academic program at a recognized institution of higher learning in the U.S.