Fungus Recognition and Identification
Date: 3/19/2013 - 3/20/2013
This one and a half day training will provide you with an opportunity for concentrated skill development in recognizing and identifying fungi. Using intensive hands-on lab sessions, case studies and presentations, you will learn a systematic procedure for conducting critical analysis of spores in both aerosol samples and in bulk cultures. You will receive one-on-one instruction in laboratory sessions using microscopes to identify fungal samples. You will also receive a photo disk of cultures and the textbook identifying Filamentous Fungi to use for future reference.
1. Describe proper procedures for microscopic examination and identification of selected fungi.
2. Discuss a range of fungal types and potential human health effects.
3. Correctly identify selected fungi under the microscope from both air samples and cultures.
March 19, 2013
12:30pm Welcome and Introductions
12:45pm Using the Tools: Microscope Standards (Setting up the microscope and laboratory safely; sampling techniques for air, bulk and surface sampling; viewing sample prepared slides)
2:45pm Concepts of Mycology and application (Fungal ecology; health effects of fungi; view spore trap particles)
March 20, 2013
8:00am Review of Day One
8:30am Recognizing and Identifying common Aspergillus and Penicillium
10:15am Identifying Fungi commonly found in buildings
1:30pm Viewing Cultures, bulk and surface and air samples
2:45pm Identification of unknowns exercise
4:00pm Debrief identification exercise
Find More Trainings in:
- Most online trainings are free of charge, and many offer CEUs.
- Once an account is created, you can log in quickly and take any training.
Trainings and courses with fees
- Credit card payments (Visa or Mastercard) are accepted by phone.
- Payment is required before the training begins.