Strength and Resiliency: Emergency Preparedness for Tribal Leaders and Program Directors
This online training module is not eligible for CPH recertification credit.
This 30-minute video was created by tribal members who work in and support emergency preparedness in collaboration with the University of Minnesota. Its purpose is to assist tribal leaders, program directors, and emergency responders across Indian Country.
The information provided outlines the various roles and responsibilities needed to prepare for and respond to emergency and disaster situations. It includes information on tribal public health emergencies, disaster operations planning, tribal emergency response committees, the Incident Command System (ICS), and the National Incident Management System (NIMS).
1. State the plans and policies that need to be in place for tribes to receive federal training and restorative funds.
2. Introduce managing a disaster using a TERC and unified command structure.
3. Explain the Incident Command System and Unified Command system
4. Identify the benefits of having an emergency manager to coordinate preparedness and response activities
5. List the plans used in emergency preparedness and response
6. Identify Tribal Government roles and responsibilities in emergency preparedness and response.
Public Health Preparedness Capability 1:
Definition: Community preparedness is the ability of communities to prepare for, withstand, and recover - in both the short and long terms - from public health incidents. By engaging and coordinating with emergency management, healthcare organizations (private and community-based), mental/behavioral health providers, community and faith-based partners, state, local, and territorial, public health's role in community preparedness.
Download PDF documents.
Tribal Emergency Operations Plan - PDF
Point of Dispensing Site (POD) Flow Chart - PDF
Tribal Emergency Response Committee (TERC) - PDF
Tribal Preparedness Resources - PDF
Find More Trainings in:
- Most online trainings are free of charge, and many offer CEUs.
- Once an account is created, you can log in quickly and take any training.
Trainings and courses with fees
- Credit card payments (Visa or Mastercard) are accepted by phone.
- Payment is required before the training begins.