Lisa A. Peterson, Ph.D.
Division of Environmental Health Sciences
Lisa Peterson has a Ph.D. in pharmaceutical chemistry from the University of California-San Francisco. Her research focuses on mechanisms by which chemicals initiate carcinogenesis. Her teaching interests include chemical toxicology and xenobiotic metabolism.
Ph.D., Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California, San Francisco, 1985 B.A., Chemistry, Macalester College, 1981
PUBH 6164 Toxicological Analysis (Section 001)
PUBH 7194 Master's Project: Envrn Health (Section 014)
PUBH 7196 Field Experience: Envrn Health (Section 004)
PUBH 8161 Current Lit in Toxicol (Section 001)
PUBH 8163 Toxicology (Section 001)
PUBH 8166 Toxicology Research (Section 001)
Mechanisms of chemical carcinogenesis thorugh the utilization of bio-organic and analytical chemical techniques; xenobiotic metabolism; characterization of unstable metabolic intermediates; DNA repair.
760D Cancer Center Research Building
Phone (Work): 626-0164
- Peterson, L. A., Cummings, M. E., Vu, C. C., and Matter, B. A. (2005) Glutathione trapping to measure microsomal oxidation of furan to cis-2-butene-1,4-dial. Drug Metab Dispos. 33, 1453-1458.
- Mijal, R. S., Loktionova, N. A., Vu, C. C., Pegg, A. E., and Peterson, L. A. (2005) O6-Pyridyloxobutylguanine adducts contribute to the mutagenic properties of pyridyloxobutylating agents. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 18, 1619-1625.
- Cosman, M., Peterson, L. A., Vu, C. C., and Hingerty, B. E. (2005) Solution structure of an O6-[4-oxo-4-(3-pyridyl)butyl]guanine adduct positioned opposite dT in an 11mer DNA duplex. Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. 46, 4820.
- Vu, C. C. and Peterson, L. A. (2005) Synthesis of [13C4]furan. J. Label. Compounds Radiopharm. 48, 117-121.
- Vu, C. C. and Peterson, L. A. (2005) Synthesis of a 2'-deoxyguanosine adduct of cis-2-butene-1,4-dial, a reactive metabolite of furan. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 18, 1012-1017.
- Hecht,S.S., Belinsky,S.A., Bode,A.M., Christiani,D., Dennis,P.A., Dong,Z., Granville,C.A., Hainaut,P., Moriya,M., Murphy,S.E., Peterson,L.A., Pfeifer,G., and Spitz,M.R. (2006) Cancer. In How Tobacco Causes Disease - The Biology and Behavioral Basis for Tobacco-Attributable Disease: A Report of the Surgeon General (2006). (Sidransky, D. Ed.).
- Byrns, M. C., Vu, C. C., Neidigh, J. W., Abad, J. L., Jones, R. A., and Peterson, L. A. (2006) Detection of DNA adducts derived from the reactive metabolite of furan, cis-2-butene-1,4-dial. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 19, 414-420.
- Mijal, R. S., Kanugula, S., Vu, C. C., Fang, Q., Pegg, A. E., and Peterson, L. A. (2006) DNA sequence context affects repair of the tobacco-specific adduct O6-[4-oxo-4-(3-pyridyl)butyl]guanine by human O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferases. Cancer Res. 66, 4968-4974.
- Peterson, L. A. (2006) Electrophilic intermediates produced by bioactivation of furan. Drug Metabolism Reviews 38, 615-626.
- Chen, B., Vu, C. C., Byrns, M. C., Dedon, P. C., and Peterson, L. A. (2006) Formation of 1,4-dioxo-2-butene-derived adducts of 2'-deoxyadenosine and 2'-deoxycytidine in oxidized DNA. Chem Res. Toxicol. 19, 982-985.
- Peterson, L. A., Cummings, M. E., Chan, J. Y., Vu, C. C., and Matter, B. A. (2006) Identification of a cis-2-butene-1,4-dial-derived glutathione conjugate in the urine of furan-treated rats. Chem Res. Toxicol. 19, 1138-1141.
- Gong, J., Neels, J. F., Yu, X., Kensler, T. W., Peterson, L. A., and Sturla, S. J. (2006) Investigating the role of stereochemistry in the activity of anticancer acylfulvenes: synthesis, reductase-mediated bioactivation, and cellular toxicity. J. Med. Chem 49, 2593-2599.
- Choi, J. Y., Chowdhury, G., Zang, H., Angel, K. C., Vu, C. C., Peterson, L. A., and Guengerich, F. P. (2006) Translesion synthesis across O6-alkylguanine DNA adducts by recombinant human DNA polymerases. J. Biol. Chem. 281, 38244-38256.
1985-1988: Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
1988-1993: Associate Research Scientist, American Health Foundation, Valhalla, NY.
1993-1997: Research Scientist, American Health Foundation, Valhalla, NY.
1997-2006: Associate Professor, Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN.
2006-present: Professor, Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN