The National Children’s Study – Ramsey County Location Speakers’ Series
Operations for the National Children’s Study (NCS) in Ramsey County will transition to the National Opinion Research Center (NORC) at the end of March 2013. For more information about this transition and the future of the NCS in Ramsey County, see below:
- March 2013 Newsletter
- National website
About the Speakers’ Series
The National Children’s Study Speakers’ Series provides 60-90 minute interactive talks by University and community experts in maternal, infant, child, youth, and family health. The series is intended to address topics of concern to public health, social service, and health care professionals; students; researchers; and community members and to provide a public forum for discussion.
The Series is sponsored by the National Children’s Study/Ramsey County Location and the Center for Leadership Education in Maternal and Child Public Health, both of which are located at the University of Minnesota’s School of Public Health.
Dr. Kozhimannil’s talk on January 23, 2013 concludes our National Children’s Study Speakers’ Series.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our previous speakers and those who have attended our events over the past several years. To read more about the future of the National Children’s Study, see our latest newsletter.
Past National Children’s Study Speakers’ Series talks
- Katy Kozhimannil, PhD: What Does the Affordable Care Act Mean for the Health of Women, Children, and Families, January 23, 2013. Listen to the presentation and view presentation slides.
Note that some of the links are not accessible via the online presentation. To access the URLs, please download the PDF of the presentation slides.
For more information about income and Federal Poverty Level classifications in the Affordable Care Act, please see these links:
Additional resources are available at:
Department of Health and Human Services website on health reform and access to health care: http://www.healthcare.gov/
Minnesota’s official website for health reform information: http://mn.gov/health-reform/
Kaiser Family Foundation’s health reform source: http://healthreform.kff.org/
- Patricia Pulice, MA, LP: Autism 2012, September 18, 2012. Listen to the presentation and view presentation slides. Download a PDF of the presentation slides.
Note that some of the links are not accessible via the online presentation. To access the URLs, please download this list of links.
- Ann Settgast, MD: Achieving Universal Health Care for Kids (& Adults): The Minnesota Health Plan, May 16, 2012. Listen to the presentation and view presentation slides.
- Jamie Stang, PhD, MPH, RD, LN: Feeding Young Children: The Good, The Bad and the Picky, January 11, 2012. Listen to the presentation and view presentation slides.
- David Wallinga, MD, MPA: Food, Environment, and Maternal Child Health, November 30, 2011. Listen to the presentation and view presentation slides.
- Mark Bergeron, MD, MPH: Post Traumatic Stress in the NICU Parent, September 28, 2011. Listen to the presentation and view presentation slides.
- William A. Toscano, PhD: Endocrine Disruptors and Children’s Health, May 2, 2011.
- Ann Masten, PhD: Risk and Resilience in Homeless and Highly Mobile Children, October 5, 2010. Listen to the presentation
- Emily Wang, MPH; Elaine Salinas, MA; Doua Lee; and Clarence Jones, MA: Multicultural Storytelling: A New Process for Community Engagement, September 23, 2010.
- Bernard Harlow, PhD: Maternal Mental Health during Pregnancy and the Postpartum, June16, 2010.
- Amy Gilbert, MD, MPH: Can Family Planning Save the World? Contraception, Population and the Global Environment, March 3, 2010, also see additional resources/articles recommended by the speaker on this topic.
- Kristin Peterson Oehlke, MS, CGC: Fetal Origins of Adult Disease, January 20, 2010, also see additional resources/articles recommended by the speaker on this topic.
- Robert (Clarence) Jones, MA: Fatherhood in the 21st Century: From Pregnancy Planning to Parenting, December 2, 2009
- Patricia Fontaine, MD, MS: All in the Family: Fetal Effects of Maternal Overweight and Obesity, September 9, 2009
- John Adgate, PhD and Charles Oberg, MD, MPH: Childhood Asthma: Causes and Consequences, March 26, 2009