Research Interests:Nutritional and Physical Activity Epidemiology; Etiology and prevention of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and obesity; Ethnic differences in type 2 diabetes; Observational and experimental study design.
Mark Pereira received his Ph.D. in epidemiology from the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health. He also earned an M.S. degree in exercise science from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. Prior to joining the faculty at the University of Minnesota, Dr. Pereira held a joint appointment as research associate, Children’s Hospital, Boston, and assistant professor in pediatrics, Harvard Medical School. His research interests include the role of dietary composition, and of eating and physical activity patterns, in the etiology, prevention, and treatment of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease throughout the lifespan. Dr. Pereira teaches ‘Writing Research Grants’ and ‘Critical Review of Research in Public Health Nutrition’.
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh
- M.P.H., in Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh
- M.S., Exercise Science University of Massachusetts
- B.S., Exercise Science University of Massachusetts
- PubH 3940 Concepts and Controversies in Public Health Nutrition & Health Promotion
- PubH 6348 Writing Research Grants
- 2006-present Associate Professor of Epidemiology & Community Health, University of Minnesota
- 2003-2006 Assistant Professor of Epidemiology & Community Health, University of Minnesota
- 2002-2003 Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
- 1999-2002 Instructor in Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
- 1999-2003 Research Associate, Children’s Hospital, Boston
- 1996-1999 Postdoctoral Fellow, Cardiovascular Epidemiology, University of Minnesota
- 2012 Outstanding Faculty Award from the Council of Graduate Students. University of Minnesota
- 2012 Biomedical Scientific Advisory Committee, University of Minnesota
- 2004 Fellow, North American Association for the Study of Obesity
- 2004 National Scientist Development Grant, American Heart Association
- 1998 Hawley Research Award, Division of Epidemiology, University of Minnesota
- 1997 Fellow, American Heart Association 23rd Ten-Day Seminar on the Epidemiology and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease, Tahoe City, California
- 1997 Student Presentation Award of the 4th International Conference on Preventive Cardiology, Montreal, Canada
- 1997 Invited Participant, NHLBI Cardiovascular Epidemiology/Biostatistics and Behavioral Medicine Training Session, Montreal, Canada
- 1996 Inductee, Delta Omega Honorary Society of Public Health
- 1996 Best Departmental Master’s Thesis, Department of Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh
- 1995 Invited Participant,Society for Epidemiologic Research Student Workshop, Snowbird, Utah
- 1993 The National Dean’s List
- Kozhimannil KB, Pereira MA, Harlow BL. Association Between Diabetes and Perinatal Depression Among Low-Income Mothers. JAMA 2009;301(8):842-84.
- Odegaard AO, Koh WP, Vazquez G, Arakawa A, Lee HP, Yu MC, Pereira MA. BMI and Diabetes Risk in Singaporean Chinese. Diabetes Care 2009;32:1104-6.
- Jakobsen MU, O’Reilly E, Heitmann BL, Pereira MA, Bälter K, Fraser GE, Goldbourt U, Hallmans G, Knekt P, Liu S, Pietinen P, Spiegelman D, Stevens J, Virtamo J, Willett WC, Ascherio A. Major types of dietary fat and risk of coronary heart disease: a pooled analysis of 11 cohort studies. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2009;89:1-8.
- Parker ED, Pereira MA, Stevens J, Folsom AR. Association of hip circumference with incident diabetes and coronary heart disease: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2009;169:837-47.
- Jakicic JM, Jaramillo SA, Balasubramanyam A, Bancroft B, Curtis JM, Mathews A, Pereira M, Regensteiner JG, Ribisl PM. Effect of a lifestyle intervention on change in cardiorespiratory fitness in adults with type 2 diabetes: results from the Look AHEAD Study. Int J Obesity 2009;33:305-16.
- Pereira MA, Kottke TE, Jordan C, O’Connor PJ, Pronk NP, Carreon R. Preventing and Managing Cardiometabolic Risk: The Logic for Intervention. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2009, 6, 2568-2584.
- Vanselow MS, Pereira MA, Neumark-Sztainer D, Raatz SK. Adolescent beverage habits and changes in weight over time: findings from Project EAT. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;90(6):1489-1495. (PMID: 19864412).
- Stovitz SD, Hannan PJ, Lytle LA, Demerath EW, Pereira MA, Himes JH. Child height and the risk of young-adult obesity. Am J Prev Med 2010;38(1):74-77. (PMID: 20117560).
- Odegaard AO, Koh WP, Arakawa K, Yu MC, Pereira MA. Soft Drink and Juice Consumption and Risk of Physician-diagnosed Incident Type Diabetes: The Singapore Chinese Health Study. Am J Epidemiol 2010;171:701-708.
- Mueller NT, Odegaard AO, Anderson K, Yuan J-M, Gross M, Koh W-P, Pereira MA. Soft drink and Juice Consumption and Risk of Pancreatic Cancer: The Singapore Chinese Health Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2010;19:447-455.
- Wilhelm Stanis SA, Schneider I, Pereira MA. Parks and Health: Differences in Constraints and Negotiation Strategies for Park-Based Leisure Time Physical Activity by Stage of Change. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 2010;7:273–284.
- Hvidtfeldt UA, Tolstrup JS, Jakobsen MU, Heitmann BL, Grønbæk M, O’Reilly E, Bälter K, Goldbourt U, Hallmans G, Knekt P, Liu S, Pereira MA, Pietinen P, Spiegelman D, Stevens J, Virtamo J, Willett WC, Rimm EB, Ascherio A. Alcohol intake and risk of coronary heart disease in younger, middle-aged, and older adults. Circulation 2010;121(14):1589-97.
- Parker ED, Widome R, Nettleton J, Pereira MA. Food security and metabolic syndrome in US adults and adolescents: findings from NHANES 1999-2006. Annals of Epidemiol 2010;20:364-370.
- Lutsey PL, Pereira MA, Bertoni AG, Kandula NR, Jacobs DR Jr. Interactions between race/ethnicity and anthropometry in risk of incident diabetes: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Am J Epidemiol. 2010;172(2):197-204.
- Odegaard AO, Pereira MA, Koh WP, Gross MD, Duval S, Yu MC, Yuan J-M. BMI, all-cause and cause-specific mortality in Chinese Singaporean men and women: The Singapore Chinese Health Study. PLOS One 2010;5(11):e14000
- Pereira MA, Erickson E, McKee P, Schrankler K, Raatz SK, Lytle LA, Pellegrini AD. Effect of Breakfast Frequency and Quality on Glycemia and Appetite in Adults and Children. Journal of Nutrition 2010;doi:10.3945/jn.109.114405.
- Zhu N, Pankow JS, Ballantyne CM, Couper D, Hoogeveen RC, Pereira MA, Duncan BB, Schmidt MI. High-Molecular-Weight Adiponectin and the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in the ARIC Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95(11):5097-104.
- Pereira MA, Fulgoni VL. Consumption of 100% Fruit Juice and Risk of Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome: Findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2004. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 2010;29:625-29.
- Slater ME, Sirard JR, Laski MCN, Pereira MA, Lytle LA. Relationships between energy balance knowledge and the home environment. Journal of the American Dietetics Association 2011;111(4):556-60
- Odegaard AO, Koh WP, Butler LM, Duval S, Gross MD, Yu MC, Yuan J-M, Pereira MA. Dietary patterns and incident type 2 diabetes in Chinese men and women: The Singapore Chinese Health Study. Diabetes Care 2011;34:880-85.
- Brostow D, Odegaard AO, Koh WP, Gross MD, Yuan J-M, Pereira MA. Omega-3 fatty acids and incident type 2 diabetes: The Singapore Chinese Health Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2011 94:520-526.
- Mueller NT. Odegaard AO, Koh WP, Gross MD, Yu MC, Yuan J-M, Pereira MA. Soy intake and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in Chinese Singaporeans. European Journal of Nutrition 2011;doi:10.1007/s00394-011-0276-2.
- Odegaard AO, Koh WP, Gross MD, Yuan J-M, Pereira MA. Combined Lifestyle Factors and Cardiovascular Disease Mortality in Chinese Men and Women: The Singapore Chinese Health Study. Circulation 2011;124(25):2847-54.
- Ado OY, Pereira MA, Himes JH. Comparability of skinfold thickness to DXA whole-body total fat in their associations with serum triglycerides in youths. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2012 on-line ahead of print; http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2012.22.
- Odegaard AO, Koh WP, Gross MD, Yuan J-M, Pereira MA. Western-Style Fast Food Intake in an Eastern Country and Cardio-metabolic risk: The Singapore Chinese Health Study. Circulation 2012 (in press).
- Cohen D, Ghosh Dastidar B, Beckman R, Lytle L, Elder J, Pereira MA, Veblen Mortenson S, Pickrel J, Conway T. Most Common Source of Junk Food for Adolescent Girls: Someone Else’s House. Health and Place 2012 (in press).