Students are admitted to a cohort that progresses through the Certificate track. Students must complete 14 credits to be awarded the certificate; credits are awarded through completion of 5 online courses.
Schedule and Courses (all PubH XXXX)
Management Certificate: All Students
7556 (2 cr) Health & Health Systems
7551 (2 cr) Principles of Management in Health Services Organizations
7538 (4 cr) Health Financial Principles
The four elective credits of the Certificate can be taken in one of two pathways:
Students pursuing this specialization will join students in the MHA Executive cohort.
Students participate in the 8-day January on-campus session which includes an introduction to 5 courses, panels, and speakers.
7565 (2 cr) Healthcare Services Innovation
7555 (2 cr) Healthcare Economics
Behavioral Health Pathway
Students enrolled in this path will participate in their own cohort that is specific to the Behavioral Health industry.
7570 (2 cr) Topics – Behavioral Health Industry Overview Course
7547 (2 cr) Healthcare Human Resources
Students in the certificate are expected to master basic skills in management and accounting and financial analysis in health care organizations. For clinical professionals and others working in the health care industry, these skills are critical to the development of their careers and to their mobility within the organization and the field. Specific outcomes expected to accrue to those who complete the certificate include:
- Enhanced ability to lead work teams or departments.
- Expanded ability to make decisions about the most efficient use of resources.
- Better grasp of policy and other system-wide perspectives, and accompanying ability to better participate in strategic decision-making in the organization.
- Deeper understanding of the role of management and of other professionals in health care organizations.
- Larger conceptual framework on which to base learning and other developmental activities in the future.