On Tuesday, October 13, 2015, the Career & Professional Development Center in partnership with the School of Public Health Student Senate, hosted an event titled “Inside Scoop from Public Health Hiring Managers.” This event was the start of a series of professional development programs focusing on the Essential Skills for a Real World Career. The event was very well attended and the panelists — Erica Bagstad and Paul Lennander from Hennepin County; Elizabeth Schiffman and Kathy Como-Sabetti from MDH; and Michelle Theisen from The Arc of Greater Twin Cities — shared invaluable insight, tips and advice when it comes to applying for jobs, cover letters, interviewing, social media and much more.
Here are some of the highlighted tips:
• Know yourself — your strengths, passion, goals and interests
• Practice communicating your strengths and skills during brief encounters and interviews
• Make a positive impression during all of your interactions — LinkedIn, interviews and interview follow-up
• Look and act the part — dress professionally, research the organization, and bring questions for the employer
• Be prepared to answer situation- or scenario-based interview questions
• Personalize “thank you” letters
• Develop your skills — especially GIS, SAS, data analysis, language use, etc.
• Take on any requests for projects and maximize your new experience.
In follow-up to this event, the Career & Professional Development Center will be hosting a workshop on Thursday, October 22, 2015 from 11:30AM – 12:30PM in Mayo D-199. The workshop , “In the Weeds: the Hiring Managers said it, now how do I do it?,” will dive into the weeds of how to write and/or prepare for resumes and cover letters, interviewing, social media, and the new work environment.
This is a FREE event and open to all students.
For more information, please visit: http://www.sph.umn.edu/event/in-the-weeds/
~ Post by Darren Kaltved