CarFreeMeTM is a research study. The goal is to help people with memory loss plan for and adjust to driving retirement. People with memory loss or their family members can join. CarFreeMeTM offers about 6-8 personalized coaching sessions on driving retirement by video or phone and focuses on well-being and staying active in the community. Coaches talk about dementia, driver safety, lifestyle planning, coping methods, and other ways of getting around.
CarFreeMeTM gives families a safe space to discuss driving retirement. Coaches offer education and support for making decisions around driving retirement. Researchers are looking at how to further refine CarFreeMeTM for drivers in the United States.
This study is looking for:
- People with memory loss who are planning for or adjusting to driving retirement
- AND/OR or their family members
- Do not live in a nursing home
You and/or your family member will:
- Take a survey that takes about 30 minutes.
- Work with a trained CarFreeMe coach in weekly sessions. Sessions typically last about 1 hour.
- Take another survey at 3 and 6 months (20 minutes each).
You may be asked to participate in an interview after the 6-month survey to get your feedback about the CarFreeMeTM program.
We will ask you to participate for 6 months. Your participation is voluntary. You can withdraw at any time.
No! The coaching sessions are delivered over the phone or by secure video conference and the surveys will be mailed or emailed to you.
Please click on the Contact link on the right side of the page (under “Contact”) and provide your contact information. We will be in touch in a couple days to answer any questions and see if this study is right for you.