Changing Habits Together at Home
The purpose of the CHAT at HOME research study is to test different combinations of treatments to see which are more effective in inducing behavior and weight change.
Families in this study will participate in coaching sessions with a registered dietician to discuss subjects such as nutrition, physical activity, and other lifestyle topics. Some parents will do the first coaching session in-person (vs. over the phone). Some will have a second caregiver participate in a few of the coaching calls. Some will get a WiFi-enabled scale for tracking weight. Which combination of components someone is assigned is random. There is an equal 50/50 chance of getting each of the 3 components.
We will determine which combination of these components is most effective by taking in-person measurements and administering surveys at the beginning and at the end of the study.
What makes a family eligible?
Your family may be eligible if:
- Your child is 8 – 12 years old
- Your child has a BMI in the 85% or above (we can help you determine this)
- Your child lives with you at least 50% of the time
- You are able to read, write, and communicate in English
- You have a smartphone
What would I receive?
- You will receive $20 in Target gift cards for completing the first in-person measurement visit.
- You will receive $50 in Target gift cards for completing the final in-person measurement visit.
What would I be asked to do?
If your child is determined to be eligible,
- You and your child will have one in-person visit at the University of Minnesota at the beginning of the study. During this visit, you will both be measured and complete a survey. You will have a similar visit at the end of the study, approximately 3 months later.
- You will participate in 10 coaching sessions. Your first session has a 50/50 chance of being in-person or over the phone. All other sessions are over the phone. You may be asked to have a second caregiver participate in three of the coach sessions.
- You will complete 3 one minute online surveys.
- You will track your child’s food intake and physical activity.
How do I sign up or learn more?
Email us firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 612-626-6868.
- We will ask you some questions to determine eligibility.
- If you are eligible, we’ll schedule your first in-person visit.
Participation is voluntary. You are able to withdraw from the study at any time.