Funding and Eligibility Requirements
Scholars will receive salary support for a minimum of 75% FTE up to a maximum of $90,000 per year plus applicable fringe benefits (up to $30,780 per year), and $25,000 per year for research development support costs, such as supplies, research support, and travel. Scholars’ home departments must cover any salary or fringe benefits that exceeds these limits. Scholars must have more than one mentor, and mentors must represent different disciplines and should have experience mentoring other faculty to research independence. However, chosen mentors do not necessarily have to come from this list. One of the Scholar’s mentors may be eligible to receive up to $5,000 total per year in salary and fringe benefits for the duration of that scholar’s appointment.
Salary Coverage Example
|AHRQ Covered (75%)||$90,000||$75,000||$60,000|
|Department Cost Shared||$60,000||$0||$0|
If you are currently or soon will be appointed at the Assistant Professor, Research Scientist, Research Investigator, Clinician Investigator, Clinician Engaged In Research (CER) or higher equivalent levels and interested in pursuing a research career in learning health systems with a focus on rapid and continuous learning and translation of findings into patient-centered care, you may be eligible for this mentored K12 career development program
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be U.S. citizens or non-citizen nationals, or individuals lawfully admitted for permanent residence by June 15, 2021.
- Hold a clinical or research doctorate, including Ph.D., Sc.D, Dr.P.H., M.D., D.O., D.C., N.D., D.D.S., D.M.D., D.N.S., D.V.M., O.D., D.P.M, Eng.D., D.P.T., O.T.D., Pharm.D., D.S.W., Psy.D. or equivalent doctoral degree, at the time of appointment.
- Have a full-time appointment at the University of Minnesota, Mayo Clinic, Hennepin Healthcare, or one of the collaborating clinical sites (Fairview Health Services, Minneapolis VA Health Care System, Children’s Minnesota, Ebenezer, Essentia Health, HealthPartners).
- Be able to commit a minimum of 75% full-time professional effort to conducting research career development activities associated with the LHS K12 award for two years.
- Be able to demonstrate a commitment to conducting research within learning health systems focusing on rapid and continuous learning and translation of findings into patient-centered care.
- Individuals are NOT eligible to be a scholar candidate if they have: a) simultaneously submitted or have an application pending peer review for any other Federal career development award, research project grant (R01); b) simultaneously submitted or have an application pending peer review for any non-Federal research grant, contract, or cooperative agreement over $100,000 direct costs per year; c) have been or are currently PD/PI on any other Federal mentored career development awards, Federal research grant (such as R01, R29,P01 – R03 and R21 awards are exempted), or subproject leaders on Program Project (P01) and Center Grants (P50); or d) have been or are currently supported on an institutional K12 or KL2 grant.