This information is for applicants to the following SPH Post-Baccalaureate Certificates programs:
- American Indian Public Health and Wellness Certificate (AIPHW)
- Applied Biostatistics
- Clinical Research
- Healthcare Management Certificate
- Public Health Core Concepts
- Public Health Food Protection
- Public Health Preparedness, Response & Recovery
- Global Health
Applicants need to provide evidence of a U.S. baccalaureate degree (or foreign equivalent) at a regionally accredited institution of higher education; OR of a post-baccalaureate graduate or professional degree at a regionally accredited institution of higher education. Admission to certain programs requires a prior advanced degree in a related area. Students applying to certificate programs do not need to take the GRE. In some cases, Clinical Research certificate students may need to submit GRE scores.
Application is online through SOPHAS Express. Note: Applicants for Healthcare Management Certificate should use SOPHAS. Before beginning your application please read the following information. You will need to provide this information and supporting documentation in SOPHAS Express to complete your application.
- U.S. applicants complete steps 1 – 5.
- International applicants complete steps 1 – 7.
Gather your supporting documentation: Please gather the information noted below. You will be required to upload each of these documents within your SOPHAS Express application.
- IN SOPHAS EXPRESS, choose your desired post-baccalaureate certificate program: In the Designations section of the application, choose the “University of Minnesota School of Public Health” and “All programs” in the drop-down boxes then click on the Find Programs button. Choose the appropriate certificate program and start term/year you which you wish to apply.
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives – Compose an essay describing your past education, experience, and professional career objectives. You are encouraged to comment on any of the following plans: plans you have to use your education and training; the needs and/or challenges you perceive as important in your field of study; and any personal qualities, characteristics, and skills you believe will enable you to be successful in your chosen field of study
- Resume or CV
- Choose your reference (letter of recommendation): In the “Recommendations” section of your SOPHAS Express application, you will submit the name of one reference who will provide a recommendation online in the SOPHAS Express system. The reference should be a person qualified to assess your academic work; clinical public health, or professional experiences; or leadership potential in public health.
- All applicants need to provide evidence of at least a U.S. baccalaureate degree (or foreign equivalent) at a regionally accredited institution of higher education; OR of a post-baccalaureate graduate or professional degree at a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- To speed up the application process, submit copies of transcripts from each U.S. college/university in which you earned a degree.
- Then request official transcripts from each U.S. college/university in which you earned a degree be sent to the School of Public Health. At this time we ask that you send the transcript electronically to email@example.com, however if your college/university does not have that feature, please have the official transcript(s) sent directly from the college/university to:
University of Minnesota School of Public Health Student Services Center
MMC 819, Rm A395 Mayo Bldg
420 Delaware St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Note: transcripts uploaded to SOPHAS are not considered “official” transcripts and an official copy is required to complete your application.
- International Applicants with Foreign Degrees see additional requirements below.
Additional Supporting Documentation for Applicants with Foreign Degrees
6. Applicants who have a degree(s) from a foreign institution should provide a World Educational Services (WES) ICAP course-by-course evaluation of their academic credentials. For SOPHAS Express applicants only – request the WES ICAP evaluation to be sent directly to the University of Minnesota School of Public Health.
7. Proof of English Language Proficiency (if applicable): Evidence of proficiency in English is required of applicants whose native language is not English or whose education was completed exclusively at an institution(s) whose language of instruction is not in English. Evidence of proficiency can be met by providing proof of one of the following:
- Official TOEFL scores – The operational standard for admission to the School of Public Health is a TOEFL score of 100 on the internet-based (iBT) test OR 600 on the paper test. TOEFL scores must be under two years old. Official scores should be sent to DI Code: 6874 – University of Minnesota-Minneapolis/St Paul
- Official IELTS scores – The operational standard for admission to the School of Public Health is an IELTS score of 7.0. IELTS scores must be under two years old. Official scores should be sent to University of Minnesota, Minneapolis (School of Public Health)
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate.
A copy of your ECFMG certificate should be uploaded to your SOPHAS Express application.
- Completion of 16-semester credits/ 24-quarter credits (within the past 24 months) in an academic program at a recognized institution of higher learning in the U.S.