Strategy & Planning
The School of Public Health (SPH) strategic plan for diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) drives transformational culture change in our school, making diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice central to our operations and mission. Here, the term “plan” is defined not only by well-articulated goals and strategies, but by an uncompromising commitment to lasting change.
Several SPH divisions and units are developing complementary plans and initiatives that will align with the school wide plan and reflect their unique needs and culture. See how efforts across the school are connected through the SPH DEI framework graphic.
- Operationalize our SPH values: “Health is a Human Right” and “Different Perspectives Make Us Stronger.”
- Align with the U of M system’s strategic plan which, under the heading of “Community and Belonging,” aspires to: recruit and retain diverse talent; cultivate a welcoming and inclusive campus climate; and advance understanding and nurture enduring partnerships.
- Provide a clear path to shift toward being an organization that centers anti-racism and anti-oppression, and intersectional justice.
- Create shared language and understanding.
- SPH climate assessment report (prepared in October 2020)
- Climate assessment: overview results (presented at October 2020 SPH Community Forum)
- When the SPH strategic plan for DEI is implemented in 2021, we plan to report annual progress updates.
Immediate Actions & Commitments
- Before we implement our strategic plan, we are taking 14 immediate action steps to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion at SPH. View the progress of that work on the Our Commitments website.
DEI Strategic Planning Committee
The SPH Strategic Planning Committee for DEI is charged with developing a robust and imaginative strategic plan focused on re-imagining how the school can establish itself as a leader and powerful advocate for equity and racial justice on our campus, in higher education, and in our communities across the country.
- Lauren Eldridge, SPH Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (committee lead)
- Sophia Ibrahim Ali, SPH Student
- Sarah Bjorkman, Director of Communications and Marketing
- Susana Carlos, SPH Student
- Daniel Cheng, Associate Director of Recruitment and Admissions
- Marlin Farley Jr, Academic Advisor, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health
- Mark Fiecas, Assistant Professor, Division of Biostatistics
- Simone French, Professor, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health
- Tracey Kane, Assistant Human Resources Director
- Heidi Mastrud, Director of Alumni Relations
- Donna McAlpine, Associate Professor, Division of Health Policy and Management
- Lisa Peterson, Professor, Division of Environmental Health Sciences
- Anne Phibbs, Founder and President of Strategic Diversity Initiatives
- Jennifer Porter, Assistant Dean for the Enrolled Student Experience
- Sabrina Roowala, SPH Graduate
- Melissa Wuori, Executive Accounts Specialist