Apply now to be a member of the inaugural cohort of the public health bachelor of arts (BA) program at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health!
The public health BA is an advanced-standing admission program, eligible to students who meet the criteria below. The inaugural cohort is limited to 35 students.
The fall 2023 cohort will be limited to current University of Minnesota – Twin Cities undergraduate students. Future admission cycles will be open to students from UMN system campuses and other institutions. More information about those admission processes will be available in fall 2023. View the Program Brochure (PDF)
There are currently no scheduled information sessions.
Please view a recording of our most recent virtual information session to learn more about the program, curriculum, and eligibility criteria.
We welcome your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org after you have reviewed this information.
- SOC 1001
- PUBH 1202 OR 3202
- Statistics (one of the following or acceptable transfer course, or AP Stats credit)
- BIOL 3272
- EPSY 3264
- PSY 3801
- SOC 3811
- STAT 3011
- STAT 3021
- Biology, Anatomy, or Physiology (one of the following or acceptable transfer course, or AP credit)
- ANAT 3001
- BIOL 1009
- PHSL 2041
To be eligible to apply for the Fall 2023 cohort, a student must have:
- 39 completed credits
- 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA
- PUBH 3202 OR 3001 OR 3004 and at least one other prerequisite complete, with up to two prerequisites in progress for Spring or planned for summer.
- Students who have more prerequisites complete at the time of application may be prioritized for admission.
- If you believe you have taken a course not on the list but meeting the spirit of the prerequisite, please apply, and also submit the syllabus for the course and rationale for why you believe it meets the prerequisite. These substitutes will be reviewed by the Director of Undergraduate and you will be notified of whether the course sufficiently satisfies the prerequisite.
- Admitted students with prerequisites in progress for Spring 2023 or planned for Summer 2023 will be reviewed for successful completion of those courses to be able to start the program in Fall 2023.
- For Fall 2024 and future cycles all prerequisites must be successfully completed by the application deadline.
- Exceptions will be made for prerequisite courses taken during semester where the Office of the Provost allowed S grades, in which case an S in a prerequisite course is acceptable
- For the Fall 2023 admissions cycle, applicants must be current UMN undergraduate students.
If you are applying to change colleges and pursue the Public Health BA as your only major, complete:
If you are applying to add the Public Health BA major in addition to your current major, complete:
- Application form and supplemental questions
- Application for Additional Undergraduate Degree Program (PDF)
- The Application for Additional Undergraduate Degree Program form can be emailed as a PDF to email@example.com or dropped off in the SPH Student Services office.
Application deadline: February 15
The School of Public Health only admits students for the fall term.
Late applications will be reviewed on a space-available basis.