This new public health bachelor of arts (BA) program addresses the growing need for public health practitioners who have the skills to address the most pressing health concerns in our diverse communities.
As an advanced-standing admission program, the public health BA accepts applications from eligible undergraduate students who meet the criteria below. Undergraduate students from all UMN system campuses and external academic institutions, including community colleges, are welcome to apply.
We highly encourage students interested in completing a bachelor of arts in public health at the University of Minnesota to attend an information session. Information sessions will focus on admissions requirements, college support and resources, and suggestions on future registration. Students are required to attend an information session before meeting individually with a SPH academic advisor.
- Thursday, 9/21 from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, 9/26 from3 to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, 10/11 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Monday, 10/16 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Thursday, 10/26 from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Monday, 10/30 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Tuesday, 11/7 from 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.
We welcome your questions at email@example.com.
Students who have questions about the transfer process into the University of Minnesota School of Public Health and it’s bachelor of arts major can attend office hours either online or in person. Students from within and outside the University are welcome. View upcoming dates and times below:
- Thursday, 9/28 from 9 to 11 a.m.
- Thursday, 10/12 from 1 to 3 p.m.
- Thursday, 10/19 from 1 to 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, 10/24 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Thursday, 11/2 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Wednesday, 11/8 from 2 to 4 p.m.
- SOC 1001
- PUBH 1202 OR 3202 OR 3001
- Statistics (one of the following or acceptable transfer course, or AP Stats credit)
- BIOL 3272
- EPSY 3264
- PSY 3801
- SOC 3811
- STAT 3011
- STAT 3021
- Biology, Anatomy, or Physiology (one of the following or acceptable transfer course, or AP credit)
- ANAT 3001
- BIOL 1009
- BIOL 1951 and BIOL 1961
- PHSL 2041
To be eligible to apply to the Public Health BA cohort, a student must have:
- 39 completed credits
- 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA
- PUBH 3202 OR 3001 and at least one other prerequisite complete, with up to two prerequisites in progress for spring.
- All prerequisites must be successfully completed by the end of the spring semester.
- Students who have more prerequisites complete at the time of application may be prioritized for admission.
- If you have taken a course that’s not on the list and you believe that it meets the spirit of the prerequisite, please apply. You will need to submit the course syllabus along with a reason for why you believe it meets the prerequisite. These substitutes will be reviewed by the director of undergraduate studies, and you will be notified of whether the course sufficiently satisfies the prerequisite.
- Exceptions will be made for prerequisite courses taken during semesters where the UMN Office of the Provost allowed S grades, in which case an S in a prerequisite course is acceptable.
If you are applying to change colleges and pursue the Public Health BA as your only major, complete:
- Application instructions will become available in early fall 2023.
Application deadline: February 1
The School of Public Health only admits students for the fall term.
Late applications will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
Join our Mailing List
Sign up to learn more about the Undergraduate BA.