Cost of Living in Minnesota

The Twin Cities area is a thriving metropolis offering many urban amenities. Living expenses, including room and board, for fall/spring are estimated at $24,572, but lifestyle choices could reduce or increase this amount considerably.


School of Public Health (SPH) students live in apartments near campus and throughout the Twin Cities area. The University’s Housing & Residential Life lists both on- and off-campus housing options.

Students with partners or families may live in University family/partnered housing with amenities such as childcare facilities, study rooms and community centers. The Commonwealth Terrace Cooperative (near the St. Paul campus) and the Como Student Community Cooperative (near the Minneapolis campus) are two options in this category.


Campus shuttles: You can get wherever you need to go at the University by using the free campus shuttle system. These shuttle buses link the Minneapolis (East Bank and West Bank) and St. Paul campuses.

Public transit: The Light Rail Transit system and Minneapolis/St. Paul Bus system are excellent transportation options. Students who pay the Transportation and Safety Fee receive unlimited access to the transit system.

Parking: Ramps, meters and parking lots are options for those who drive to campus. Students can enter a lottery for on-campus contract parking space. Information about parking is available through Parking and Transportation Services.

Biking: The University of Minnesota is nationally recognized for being bicycle friendly and was named a Platinum Bicycle Friendly University by the League of American Bicyclists. Many students, faculty, staff, and visitors get around campus using this healthy and cost effective transportation option.

Health Insurance

The Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP) is a cost-effective, comprehensive health plan designed to meet the unique needs of students. All students are required to have health insurance. For more information about health insurance, visit the Office of Student Health Benefits.

Students with graduate assistant appointments may be eligible to participate in the university-sponsored Graduate Assistant Health Plan. For more information about this health insurance, visit the Office of Student Health Benefits.

Note: The University of Minnesota mandates all international students and their dependents be covered by the University-sponsored health plan while studying in the United States.

Childcare & Family Support

Support for student parents is available through the Student Parent HELP Center.

© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement