Diversity & Inclusion
“There isn’t a single leader, faculty member, staff person, or student in this school who doesn’t have something to learn and to contribute toward shaping ourselves into better people in an increasingly diverse world.”
–John Finnegan, SPH Professor and Dean
What makes humans diverse — race, gender identity, religion, culture, and social status, to name but a few things — are sources of strength that enrich us all. At the School of Public Health, we strive for diversity among our students, staff, and faculty and for a respectful and inclusive climate that’s open and welcoming to everyone.
In our work, we are committed to forging a diverse professional and scientific workforce; advancing research excellence that benefits all; and joining in partnership with communities to shape our research and learning — the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to all these goals.
- Students of color: 18 percent
- International students: 15 percent
- Sex: 70% identify as female; 30% identify as male.
- 25 percent of the Twin Cities population is people of color
- Minnesota’s foreign-born population is increasing faster than the national average.
- In 2012, an amendment that would have banned gay marriage was voted down in our state, clearing the way for our legislature to pass Marriage Equality in 2013.
- In 2013 and 2014, Campus Pride named University of Minnesota-Twin Cities one of the most LGBT-friendly campuses in the nation.
Mental Health Advocacy
At the School of Public Health we value each individual’s complete health. A number of staff in the School of Public Health are trained Mental Health Advocates and can help direct you to resources. Look for the ‘Student Mental Health Advocate’ signs. Lauren Eldridge is a mental health advocate in Student Services.
See more information about Student Mental Health.
Dean Finnegan’s messages about diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Shaping Our School to Better Serve an Increasingly Diverse World
January 17, 2017
- Orlando and Hate as a Public Health Crisis
June 17, 2016
- Charlottesville and the Damage of Hate
August 10, 2017
SPH and University of Minnesota Resources
- Health Equity Work Group
- Graduate School Diversity Office
- The Gender and Sexuality Center for Queer and Trans Life
- Office for Equity and Diversity
- International Student and Scholar Services
- Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence
- Twin Cities Multicultural Directory
- Student Organizations and Support Resources
Past Event Recordings
- Beyond the Pale: Examining the Role Racism Plays in Research (opens in a new window)