The online application process is through SOPHAS, the centralized application service for schools and programs of public health. Final deadlines vary by program.
Requirements for Degree Programs
See your program’s page for specific information about prerequisite coursework, required tests, and minimum scores.
Note that student applications are carefully considered as part of a holistic review process. GRE test scores, and GPAs listed are preferred minimum performance levels and provide competitive points of reference for admission, but are not alone decisive in the admissions review.
General admissions requirements include (all items should be submitted through SOPHAS):
- Baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of not less than 3.00
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives
- Resume or C.V.
- Official transcripts
- Required entrance exams – please consult with the program to which you are applying for what entrance exam, if any, is required.
- 3 letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional references.
- International applicants or applicants who have completed a post-secondary degree in a country outside of the U.S. and Canada – see additional requirements for International Students.
- Non-native English speakers – see additional requirements for International Students.
- PhD applicants – Environmental Health and Epidemiology both require a statement of research interests. See these program pages for additional information.
Details about Application Requirements
Tips for writing a strong statement of purpose and objectives:
- Share your passion about the field of public health and the specific program you are applying to. Write about how you learned about public health and why you believe it’s the right choice for you.
- Highlight your experiences that you believe make you a strong candidate for admission.
- Explain why you want to pursue your education at the University of Minnesota.
- Edit, edit, edit!
Official transcripts are required from each U.S. college or university attended and must be sent from that institution directly to SOPHAS. This includes a University of Minnesota transcript (if applicable), and a transcript from each school where the student completed courses.
All applicants need to provide evidence of at least a U.S. baccalaureate degree (or foreign equivalent) at a regionally accredited institution of higher education; OR of a post-baccalaureate graduate or professional degree at a regionally accredited institution of higher education. Admission to certain programs requires a prior advanced degree in a related area.
Or for overnight delivery of transcripts ONLY:
SOPHAS Transcript Processing Center
c/o Liaison International
311 Arsenal Street, Suite #15
Watertown, MA 02472
Grade Point Average
The minimum preferred GPA is 3.0. Some programs may have a higher preferred minimum GPA. Check with specific programs for details.
Note: No applicant will be permitted to register for classes who has not completed at least a U.S. baccalaureate degree (or foreign equivalent) from a regionally accredited university or college. There are no exceptions to this rule.
Please consult with the program to which you are applying for details about what entrance exam, if any, is required.