The Student Senate is the governing body for students in the School of Public Health. The Student Senate provides a voice for students and allows students to get involved in student government, plan social activities, network with other students and faculty, demonstrate leadership skills, and develop creative solutions to new challenges.
The mission of the School of Public Health Student Senate at the University of Minnesota is to serve as a liaison between the students, faculty, and staff and to assist student organizations in hosting school-wide events.
How to Get Involved
Our general meetings are held once per month on the University of Minnesota East Bank. Meeting schedule will be determined in the Fall. All SPH Students are welcome to attend meetings.
The SPH Senate Buddy Program will match incoming students to returning students, who will serve as a peer mentor and a “buddy” to help navigate the first-year experience. Buddies will be matched for the year and are encouraged to meet virtually or for social-distanced activities and be available to answer questions.
SPH Student Senate excitedly hosts events for all members of the SPH community. If you are interested in keeping up with our events, please contact SPHSS via email, follow our Google Calendar, by following that link and clicking the small plus sign on the bottom right of the page, or attend one of our meetings.
Peer Networking Appointments:
Peer Networking Appointments will serve as a channel for incoming students and returning students (called “Peer Mentors”), to be connected with their peers based on year, identities, or other interests. This is an informal networking channel that will utilize Google Calendar (appointments) where students can sign-up to meet with any student of their choice!
Peer Mentors are from across the School of Public Health and are asked to commit at least one hour per week to appointments (*returning students – sign up to be a Peer Mentor by contacting email@example.com), meaning these can vary from week to week so check-in often!
Peer Networking Appointment Sign-Up Instructions (you must be using your UMN email):
- Click on this link to access a spreadsheet that lists the students who are available for Peer Networking Appointments.
- In the spreadsheet, click on the Google Calendar appointment link in the spreadsheet and select a time slot with that student. An event box will pop up and all you have to do is click “Save” (optional: you can add a description). Clicking “Save” will send you and the Peer Mentor a notification about the appointment, as well as create an event on your Google Calendar.
- Click on the Peer Mentor’s Zoom link in the spreadsheet during your specified appointment time.
2020-2021 SPH Senators
|Buddy Program Coordinator: Talia Wiggenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Activism Subcommittee Chair: Malik Williamsemail@example.com|
|Epidemiology COGS Rep: Rebecca Molinskyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Environmental Health Sciences COGS Rep: Foster Jacobsemail@example.com|
|Health Services Research, Policy & Administration COGS Rep: Cynthia Pandofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Biostatistics COGS Rep: Yiyao Jinemail@example.com|
|Clinical Research COGS Rep: Open|
The SPH Student Senate represents the voice of public health students to the following groups:
- SPH Executive Team
- SPH Education Policy Committee
- University of Minnesota Senate
- Professional Student Government
- Council of Graduate Students
- Center for Health Interprofessional Programs (CHIP)
- Academic Health Center Student Consultative Committee
- SPH Alumni Society
- SPH Student Services Center