When Should I Apply?
Final deadlines vary by program, but for most programs the scholarship consideration deadline is December 1.
It may take you several months to gather your application materials, so it is recommended that you prepare to apply in the fall.
How Do I Apply?
The application to SPH is completed through SOPHAS, the centralized application service for Schools and Programs of Public Health.
What Do I Need to Apply?
All applicants must submit the following within the SOPHAS application:
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives describing the reasons for your interest in public health, your intended program of study, the University of Minnesota SPH and your career goals.
- Resume or C.V.
- Official transcripts from each U.S. college or university attended must be sent from that institution directly to SOPHAS. This includes a University of Minnesota transcript (if applicable). Do not send transcripts to the University of Minnesota.
- Official GRE scores should be sent to institution code 6891 – U Minnesota Sch Pub Hlth SOPHAS.
- Note: Some programs will accept other official test scores or may waive the GRE requirement. Check with your program to be sure.
- 3 letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional references. Letters should be provided in SOPHAS. Do not have letters of recommendation sent to the University of Minnesota.
Please note that some programs do require additional materials. Check with your program to be sure.
For specific information about application prerequisites, see specific program pages.
What if I’m an International Student?
See instructions for international applicants for more information.
What Happens After I Apply?
Each degree and certificate program has its own admissions committee composed of faculty members from that area of study. The committees review applications for evidence of the applicant’s intent and purpose in studying public health, past academic performance, program-specific academic potential, professional and life experience, English fluency (where required), and other factors such as an applicant’s compatibility with faculty expertise and program directions.
When Will I Know If I Got In?
This process may take up to six weeks in the peak application season of December/January. At other times, committees may make admission decisions more quickly. All applicants are notified of the committee’s decision via email and/or letter.
Who Do I Contact With Questions?
Contact our Office of Admissions & Student Resources at any time with questions at email@example.com or 612-626-3500. Toll-free at 800-774-8636.