These Guiding Statements will be used in the self-study document to frame what we have accomplished over the past three years. The self-study document involves evaluating the quality and content of our educational programs, research, community service, and engagement with external partners and collaborators. We provided opportunities for feedback on the Guiding Statements from students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community partners through focus groups and a survey. We will submit the self-study document in advance of the April 2022 visit by CEPH (Council on Education for Public Health) for an in-person evaluation of SPH for reaccreditation.
UMN Value Statement
Our Guiding Statements reflect that the University of Minnesota is: “… founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding; is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to the benefit of the people of the state, the nation, and the world.”
A world in which all people thrive throughout their lives with optimum health and well-being.
The School of Public Health improves the health and well-being of populations and communities around the world through excellence in research and education, and by advancing policies and practices that sustain health equity for all.
- Goal 1 Education: Provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to become leaders in public health practice and research.
- Goal 2 Research: Conduct, translate, and disseminate research to shape public health solutions, policies, and practices that will reduce health inequities.
- Goal 3 Community Engagement: Engage and collaborate with partners to advance learning, practice, and scholarship in public health.
- Goal 4 Continuing Education: Provide continuing education to professionals and community leaders in evidenced-based practices that improve health and well-being.
- Goal 5 Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Advance diversity, equity, inclusion, justice and antiracism in our education, research, and community engagement.
- Health is a Human Right.
We hold that everyone has the right to the highest attainable standard of health and well-being.
- Upstream Action Saves Lives. We hold that disease prevention and health promotion are powerful, proven, and effective tools for tackling the world’s health challenges. We focus on moving research into action to protect populations, shape policies, and create a healthier world.
- Diversity and Collaboration Make Us Stronger. We believe that diverse people, cultures, and lived experiences are sources of deep understanding and knowledge. Partnerships with diverse communities, colleagues, students, and experts across sectors produce superior research and education.
- Our Future Depends on Education. We hold that education, research, public engagement, and public policy are among the most important pathways to a just and equitable world. We prepare students to be effective researchers, teachers, practitioners, citizens, and health advocates. We educate the public health professional workforce in current knowledge and best practices. We communicate with the public about health challenges and solutions.
- Bigger Imaginations Yield Better Results. Our passion, excitement, and drive to advance health makes the world a better place. The freedom to dig deeper and follow our intuition toward greater understanding allows us to see things with new eyes and to explore creative solutions.