To apply to the School of Public Health, all information is submitted through SOPHAS Express, a companion application used exclusively for non-degree programs and school and program exclusive dual-degrees offered by SOPHAS schools and programs of public health.
To be eligible for this program you must:
- Be admitted to College of Biological Sciences or the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences at the University of Minnesota
- Have Junior (60+ credits) standing
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.25
- Have taken coursework in the basic sciences including, biology, chemistry, physics, life sciences, and math
- Have the ability to complete 12 graduate level credits during your senior year in addition to your remaining bachelor’s degree requirements
For the application, you will need:
- Statement of Purpose — Provide an essay describing your education, experience, and professional career objectives. You are encouraged to comment on any or all of the following: plans to use your education and training; the needs and challenges perceived as important in your field of study; and any personal qualities, characteristics, and skills you believe will enable you to be successful in your chosen field of study.
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
- Official post-secondary transcripts from all U.S. institutions attended (must be sent directly from the institutions to SOPHAS). This includes your study at the University of Minnesota.
- Two letters of recommendation from persons qualified to assess your academic work; public health or professional experiences; or leadership potential in public health. One should be from an instructor at the University of Minnesota.
- One letter of recommendation from a College of Biological Sciences advisor or University of Minnesota Rochester Student Success Coach to be submitted the same way as the other two recommendations. This letter should indicate which degree requirements are left to complete for the BS degree and an assessment of how realistic it is for the applicant to add in the required graduate level classes senior year.
Qualified students will be invited to interview. No GRE test scores are required.
Note: Applicants whose native language is not English must prove English proficiency by providing official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores or have completed 16-semester credits/ 24-quarter credits (within the past 24 months) in an academic program at a recognized institution of higher learning in the U.S. or Canada.