Find an Applied Practice Site
Students may use various resources and strategies to locate Applied Practice opportunities and connect with organizations. Below are some resources and tips that are frequently used:
Tips for identifying potential sites:
- Consult with faculty if they are aware of an organization or preceptor that may have an Applied Practice opportunity.
- Network with faculty and peers who work in your area of interest.
- Request an informational interview with an organization you are interested.
- Connect with SPH Alumni through alumni community events, the SPH Mentor Program, and the University of Minnesota School of Public Health LinkedIn Group to contact alumni to do an informational interview.
Potential Site Settings:
- Governmental agencies
- Non-governmental agencies
- Non-profit agencies
- Industrial organizations
- For-profit settings
- Appropriate university-affiliated practice-based settings; university-affiliated settings must be primarily focused on community engagement, typically with external partners. University health promotion or wellness centers may also be appropriate sites.
Minnesota Prepared Internships. Paid internships that may be used for Applied Practice are available through the Minnesota Prepared Internship Program. See website or email Project Coordinator Kinsey Mannebach (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
During the Applied Practice experience, students are encouraged to work professionally and follow work ethics best practices. Therefore, the SPH Career & Professional Development Center has created a number of tools and resources for students, necessary to successfully manage their career from the beginning until they become an established public health professional.
- Visit the Career and Professional Development Center’s website page for tools and resources
- Visit the Current Students Career Resources page for information that might be helpful when students write their learning agreement and get ready to meet with potential preceptors.
- Visit the SPH job posting system page to search for potential site opportunities.