EQuaLS team members seek to carry out community-facing work that fosters meaningful dissemination. Dr. Shippee also serves on local and national organizations that support aging research.
- National service: Dr. Shippee was elected to serve on the Board of Directors for the Gerontological Society of America. She also serves on the GSA Membership committee and Diversity and Justice Working Group, GSA
- Dr. Shippee has built a strong partnership with the Minnesota Diverse Elders Coalition, where Dr. Shippee and Odichinma Akosionu serve as representatives from the University of Minnesota.
- In November 2019, the EQuaLS team partnered with the Minnesota Diverse Elders Coalition (MNDEC) to host a community forum, attended by over 100 participants from communities of color. The objectives of this forum were to: 1) build collaboration across different communities and members within Aging; 2) share findings from University of Minnesota researchers on the needs of Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) consumers in long-term services and; 3) create a dialogue between the University of Minnesota-School of Public Health and community members around supporting the needs of racially/ethnically diverse consumers using long-term supports and services.
- Team member Odi Akosionu co-presented a poster with a Minnesota Diverse Elders Coalition member at the CTSI’s Power of Partnership event in February, 2020.
- The team also collaborates with a number of community stakeholders including: Minnesota Gerontological Society, where Dr. Shippee serves on a research committee; disseminating our work with the Minnesota Physician; presenting for Minnesota Elder Justice Center, Minnesota Elder Voice Family Advocates, LeadingAge Minnesota, Care Providers of Minnesota, and U of MN Retirees Association, among others.