With approval, students may apply up to 14 credits of pharmacy courses toward the MPH. This saves you time and money while earning both degrees. A large majority of the MPH courses are offered online, giving students the freedom to complete both degrees with flexibility and in a timely fashion. Because it is an online program, the MPH charges resident tuition.
We will work with your pharmacy school and curriculum to identify pharmacy courses that could transfer to the MPH program. The samples below are written for UMN Pharmacy students.
See Detailed (PDF) Curriculum Information
See a (PDF) Sample Schedule
Effective fall 2018, a new required course will be added to the MPH curriculum: PubH 6250 Fdt of PubH, 2cr and the requirements for the Field experience, (which will be titled Applied Practice Experience) and the MPH Culminating Experience, (will be titled Integrated Learning Experience) will be revised. More details will be posted soon.
The Master’s Culminating Experience is a planned undertaking involving studious inquiry or examination. The product of that undertaking is a formal, written, scholarly report that demonstrates writing proficiency; and the ability to critically approach a topic, synthesize, interpret, and successfully convey information to the appropriate audience.
Students are expected to demonstrate familiarity with the tools of applied research or scholarship in public health practice, the ability to work independently, and the ability to apply skills learned in coursework by completing a research paper, a systematic literature review, a consultative report, a grant proposal, or complete the Certification in Public Health exam.
PharmD/MPH students may customize their PharmD paper requirement to meet the needs of the SPH culminating experience. Students are required to complete the MPH culminating proposal form and receive approval from their SPH and PharmD advisors.
There are five MPH culminating options:
- Certified in Public Health Exam (CPH). Certification as a Public Health Professional demonstrates your command of a standard of knowledge and skills in public health; encourages lifelong learning; adds credibility to public health profession; increases public health awareness, fosters an environment of professional community and puts you ahead of the curve as a public health professional. Students are eligible to take the CPH exam after completing the core courses. PharmD/MPH students who take the non-credit bearing CPH exam to satisfy this requirement will substitute additional 3-4 credits elective courses. To date, our students passage rate is 95%. This is the preferred option for dual degree students.
- Consultation report – the consultative report offers students the opportunity to address a real problem faced by a public health agency (public or private) and produce a product for a real client.
- Research paper – the research paper will focus on pertinent questions or issues in public health practice.
- Systematic literature review – the literature review will focus on pertinent questions or issues in public health practice.
- Grant proposal – learning how to write a successful grant application is a very important skill to possess in the practice of public health.
The public health practice field experience provides students with a means of gaining additional insight into public programs, personnel management, governmental relations, public relations, legislative support, and knowledge of special investigations conducted by these organizations. Participation in the activities of public health practice programs external to the university adds a dimension of experience to the curriculum that enriches the student’s training and may be beneficial in seeking employment.
PharmD/MPH students may customize their PharmD rotation to meet the requirements of the SPH field experience. The rotation credits can be transferred to the MPH to fulfill the field experience 4 credit requirement. A completed SPH field experience contract is required prior to starting the internship experience.
PharmD/MPH dual degree students have completed their field experience at:
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences Maumbai, India
- Minnesota Department of Health
- Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, MN
- Shoulder to Shoulder, Ilula Global Health Team Experience in Tanzania