SPH Faculty & Instructor Training
NOTE: If you are unavailable for the currently scheduled session 1 dates, please contact Annie Mason, CEHD program director, at firstname.lastname@example.org to set something up.
In summer 2020, we partnered with the U of M College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) to design and implement a workshop series to support School of Public Health (SPH) faculty and instructors in developing anti-racist curriculum and pedagogy. This workshop series aligns with annual training requirements of the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH), our school’s main accrediting body.
To complete the workshop, each SPH faculty member will participate in one asynchronous learning experience and one 2-part synchronous workshop, described as follows:
Asynchronous Learning Experience
- Facilitated through Canvas
- Includes: an introductory video, one required reading, additional readings and resources that explore issues related to anti-racism in curriculum and pedagogy (articles, films, blog posts, etc.), and optional discussion prompts
- Will take approximately one hour to complete
Synchronous Workshops (must complete asynchronous experience first)
- Includes: two 1-hour synchronous meetings
- Purpose: to contextualize and personalize each participant’s approach to anti-racism in curriculum and pedagogy
Fall 2020 Dates & Times
SPH faculty and instructors may choose among four open and one BIPOC-only synchronous workshops. Those who identify as Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), can attend any of the workshop sessions. The goal is to provide a space where BIPOC folks feel comfortable talking about their experiences. Those who identify as white are invited to attend the sessions that are marked “Open”.
Each workshop will include two 1-hour sessions with at least one week between them. You will need to register for session 1 and session 2 separately. Registration will be capped at 60 participants per session.
Session 1 options:
- November 5, 9-10am CST (Open)
- November 12, 9-10am (Open)
- November 16, 3-4 p.m. (BIPOC only)
- November 19, 9-10 a.m. (Open)
- December 3, 9-10am (Open)
Session 2 options (must complete session 1 first):
- November 5, 4:30-5:30pm (Open)
- November 12, 4:30-5:30pm (Open)
- November 19, 3-4 p.m. (BIPOC only)
- November 19, 4:30-5:30pm (Open)
- December 10, 9-10 am (Open)
Note about required training
The SPH Educational Policy Committee (EPC) has chosen this workshop series as the required training for the 2020-21 academic year for all SPH faculty and instructors. If an instructor feels that this training is not a good fit for them, is unable to participate, or joins the faculty after the workshops are held, they should work with their supervisor or division head to develop an alternate plan for the required annual training and document that training as part of their annual review.