Why should I get a Public Health Certificate in Core Concepts (PHCert-CC)?
The certificate program offers an opportunity to gain the knowledge and skills to understand, assess, and manage population health in public health, health care, and human services settings.

It can confirm your interest in public health and/or provide you with the public health foundation knowledge to enhance your position and the credits taken in the PubHCCC may be applied to the MPH graduate degree.

Who is eligible for the program?
The certificate program is designed for working professionals in health or human services who have at least a baccalaureate degree.

Is the GRE required for admissions?

No, the GRE is not required for admissions to the PubHCCC.

How competitive is it to be accepted to the PubHCCC?

The SPH has no limit or quota to meet, we are looking for qualified applicants.

How long does the program take?
The PHCert-CC must be completed within four years of matriculation. It can be completed in two years by taking one course per term. Most people complete the certificate in one to two years.  You decide upon the pace of the curriculum, so you can meet the needs of your lifestyle.

Can I transfer credits from the certificate to a MPH degree program at the School of Public Health?
All credits taken for the certificate are graduate level and are eligible for transfer consideration. Students generally transfer all of their certificate into an MPH, if they are later admitted to one.

However, Masters programs have the final authority to decide which courses apply to their degrees. Some programs may require students to satisfy a core competency with a course that is not part of the standard Core Concepts curriculum. Staff can help certificate students select appropriate transferable courses to satisfy curriculum requirements and to meet their long term goals. All students who wish to transfer into an MPH are advised to contact the Program Coordinator for MPH planning purposes.

How do I apply to a MS or MPH after starting the certificate?
Certificate students apply through SOPHAS to a MPH degree program, if they meet the minimum requirements of that program and are finishing the last course of the PubHCert-CC.  The PubHCert-CC courses are available online and/or in-person. Students may take all, some, or none of their classes online. Students are required to earn at least a B- grade in all the core courses and graduate with a CUM GPA of 3.25.

Are the courses offered online?
All seven PHCert-CC courses are available online and/or in-person. Students may take all, some, or none of their courses in the online format.

How much does the certificate cost?
The total cost varies depending on how many credits you take per term and the additional cost of fees.  The SPH charges tuition per credit.

Tuition for Regent’s certificates are assessed at the same rate as MPH programs. For more information please see SPH Tuition & Fees.

Can I get resident tuition?

Yes, all PubHCCC students are changed resident tuition, regardless of where they are residing.

Is financial aid available?
No, students accepted to the PHCert-CC are not eligible to apply for federal financial aid.

Are scholarships available?
Very limited scholarships are available.

What is the CPH exam?
The CPH designation demonstrates that you have completed courses from a CEPH-accredited school and have mastered foundation competencies in public health. CPH professionals raise the bar and enhance the public health profession through their exemplary academic and leadership skills.

Why take the CPH exam?

  • Stay current on best practices and education through the user-friendly maintenance of certification program
  • Assure the community that you serve/protect that you met and maintain a national, professional standard
  • Increase recognition of the public health professions
  • Measures and improves the competency and consistency of public health workers everywhere.

When is the CPH exam offered?
For complete information go to the CPH Certificate website.

Where is the CPH exam given?
The CPH are delivered at Applied Measurement Professionals (AMP) Testing Centers through the U.S. and at select international locations.

Where can I get more information?
Please visit the CPH Certificate website

If I am admitted to the PubHCCC, do I need to complete the Academic Health Science Immunizations requirements?

No, Certificate students are exempt from the immunization requirements.

Do I have an academic faculty adviser?

Yes, you will be assigned to a academic faculty adviser.  The majority of your questions and concerns can be address by the Program Coordinator.

© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement